Secretary of State and State Librarian Jesse White has awarded $627,624 in 2023 Project Next Generation (PNG) grants to 30 public libraries statewide to support the mentoring program.
PNG grants provide for mentors to work with middle and high school students to develop skills using various technologies. The at-risk students learn to achieve success through project-based learning, and gain life skills, such as effective communication, goal setting and conflict resolution.
Public libraries in southern Illinois included:
• Anne West Lindsey District Library (Carterville) – $9,905
• Carbondale Public Library – $38,060
• Eldorado Memorial Public Library District – $13,923
• Harrisburg District Library – $12,594
• Marion Carnegie Library – $32,815
• Stinson Memorial Public Library District (Anna) – $22,000
Projects were awarded grants from the Illinois State Library using federal Library Services and Technology Act funds provided by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Grants are awarded to public libraries serving culturally diverse, low-income and underserved populations.
For more information, click here.