CARBONDALE – The Southern Illinois men’s basketball program has paused team activities due to positive COVID-19 test results, head coach Bryan Mullins announced on Thursday. Accordingly, SIU will not participate in the Wade Houston Tipoff Classic in Louisville, KY from November 25-29, as previously scheduled.
“We have diligently followed the safety protocols established by our administration and local health officials, but as we’ve seen throughout the country, Covid cases can and will arise,” Mullins said. “We will resume preparation for the season as soon as our medical professionals deem it is safe to do.”
The Salukis are scheduled to begin the season on Dec. 2 at SEMO. Other confirmed non-conference games include home dates versus Southern Miss (Dec. 5), and Murray State (Dec. 11). More dates will be added, Mullins said.
“Every college basketball program will need to be nimble in terms of scheduling and preparation,” Mullins said. “The health and safety of our players continues to be our top priority as we navigate the unique circumstances of the season.”
Under the current guidelines of state and local health officials, fans are not permitted to attend indoor basketball games. Saluki Athletics will continue to monitor conditions and is developing a plan to accommodate season-ticket holders, should guidance change.